Eclectic, quirky, and sometimes edgy…this is how things look from my front porch.




Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Project - Vintage Stepstool


















We're in a major frugality mode here at the Old Shea House at 256. This isn't a huge, gorgeous project where I create a large garden bench out of stair spindles, a wooden dying rack and chicken wire. I'm not that talented. This is the little type of project I love to do. For ONCE, I remembered to take a before and after pic.
I love this vintage stepstool, but the red leather seat was split. A year ago, I would have run to JoAnne's Fabrics and bought some new red leather. Without measuring either, I would have just bought a lot more than I needed.
Today, I decide to mull it over. I took a close look at it and realized that I only had to remove four screws. Well, Bruce (germanic precision-engineering boy) only had to remove four screws. I asked for a half hour of his time.
I had a red bandana fabric pillowcase I never use. I decided to cover the small seat with it, but then thought that I couldn't wipe it off. Last week, I came across one of those heavy plastic zippered bags that bedding comes in. I almost threw it away, but it seemed so useful. I asked Bruce to add it on top.
You can see the before and after pics. I think it turned out just the way I wanted it. And for free!
I also took some shots of the corner where I keep the stool. You can see my vintage apron used as a valance at the back door. I found it in the gutter on garbage day five years ago, inexplicably there along with a rough-hewn red painted heart.
I bought the red chair at a vintage store in Richmond, VA.
The kitchen scale is part of a small collection of three. Two, including the one pictured, came from the trash bin at church when they switched to electronic scales for making the fundraiser Easter Eggs.
A cop friend of mine came in for something while we were making eggs, saw the electronic scales and all the powdered sugar. He said, "is this manufacture and sale of drugs or a fundraiser? Ya'all look like drug dealers in white aprons and you appear to have been sampling the product."



2 comments:

Echoes From the Hill said...

I think you cop friend's comment is hilarious!
My grandmother had a step stool like that in her kitchen.
nancyr

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I never thought of using that plastic to go over the new seat like that...I keep those plastic bags but now have another use for them!! I have a 50s Costco stool that needs a new seat too!! Love money saving ingenious ideas!! Thanks again. Sarah