Eclectic, quirky, and sometimes edgy…this is how things look from my front porch.




Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Flood




I drove downtown today. It took me three and a half hours to drive home, a distance of a little over half a mile. I was in a meeting with the police chief when the skies opened up and enough rain for a month poured down in an hour and a half. As I left the chief's office and saw the cars floating in the back parking lot, I was thankful that I used metered parking right out front on higher ground.


I've been working out a lot for the past few months. Tonight I was very thankful that I'd been getting into better shape. After being stuck in traffic gridlock for two hours with both of our major tunnels completely shut down, I drove across a sidewalk and on to the grass. I parked my car on the highest ground in the parking lot, took off my sandals, rolled up my jeans, and waded home through sometimes waist-deep water. I wasn't even out of breath when I got home. I don't think I could have done that six months ago.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Yikes!! Where have I been? I can't believe it's been a week since I've visited your blog.... I'm so sorry about your flood. Is your house ok? Are things getting back to normal? I didn't even hear about your weather down there..... sigh.... Let me know how things are going, ok? Blessings (and praying for the best for you...) Debra