Eclectic, quirky, and sometimes edgy…this is how things look from my front porch.




Monday, August 15, 2011

Blowing Through the Jasmine in my Mind

Listen, I don’t tell everybody this so you need to keep it to yourself.  There’s a sound track running in my mind all the time, like I’m playing the musical score to my life.  Call me Henry Mancini or John Williams.  Well, no, don’t, but you know what I mean.   Well maybe you can, I wouldn't mind claiming Moon River as my own.

So I guess this blog post is my liner notes.  I hope that I don’t say a lot of obscure thank you’s to folks no one else knows about and make self-conscious references to inside jokes like the liner notes used to look like for Kenny Loggins and other artists when I was a kid. 
About two weeks ago, my soundtrack was playing “It’s Not Easy to be Me” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q896lBPRC60
by Five for Fighting and “One Hundred Years to Live” by the same group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-qQcNT_fY&ob=av2e
I’ve been feeling the inexorable sense of time slipping away which is embodied in this haunting song.  I’m a sucker for a good falsetto and I love the music-box melody.  This era of my life will be over seemingly in a breath.  By the way, did you know that there are two kinds of time in the Bible…clock time and spiritual time?
What’s this week’s running soundtrack?  “What Do You Want From Me?” by Adam Lambert. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt3yBQf7LqM
I don’t always notice the soundtrack while I bee-bopp my way along writing, working, traveling, or putting some wash in the front loader.  Just a few minutes ago I became aware of this week’s tune.  As I puzzled over it, because the songs always mean something deeply spiritual, I realized that my heart was crying out to God asking Him that question.
You see, we’re going through a difficult time at Chez 256.  I have been so angry about it that I’ve missed the spiritual lessons.   Today, I was praying with groaning too deep for words when the Spirit intercedes for us Romans 8:26 and 27.  And I got my answer, “pray for those who spitefully use you.”  That's what God wants from me.
You know those clever chalkboards made from vintage frames that I love so much?  God told me to erase the one hanging above the globes in the hallway that said, “He’s got the whole world in His hands.”  And then he directed me to write down the names of those I was so angry with and ask Him to bless them in writing.  So I did.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD
and put their trust in him.  Psalm 40:3

No comments: