Eclectic, quirky, and sometimes edgy…this is how things look from my front porch.




Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall Mantle

A friend asked me today what I do to re-acclimate after a trip.  Generally, I settle the dog down with a walk or a romp in the backyard, I cook a meal, and I do laundry.  Can't abide piles of laundry or piles of ironing or wearing un-ironed clothing, for that matter.  I live life on the wild side, don't I?  Yep, I'm a rebel.

I did all that Monday when I returned home from DC.  I also changed out the summer mantle to early autumn garb.  I don't know when or why I started on that, but I find it a cherished tradition now that I look forward to. Since changing my living room decor to blue and yellow, Autumn has been more of a challenge.  I think I met the challenge with a vintage Fall picture in soft yellow and blues with a touch of light brown.  You'll have to let me know what you think about it.

I find something about changing out the mantle very soothing.  I wipe it down with Murphy's oil soap, store the old season away until next year and fuss, stage, move, re-arrange, and tweak until I have it just right.  

I used to tease my mother about her need to match everything, including the candy in our living room dish which was blue to match the room.  I am more free-form about matching, but please note that my Indian corn is in yellow and blue tones which is probably a step too far into preciousness. Very twee.
Liturgical churches change vestments and altar cloths as the seasons move from Advent to Christmas to Epiphany to Lent to Easter to Pentecost to so-called Ordinary Time (I love that expression) and back to Advent again.  I guess a little of that liturgical tradition seeped deep into my soul.


No comments: